Welcome to the National Institute for Direct Instruction
The National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) is the world's foremost Direct Instruction (DI) support provider. This website provides information and resources for administrators, teachers and parents to help them maximize student achievement through DI. The website also contains information on DI's extensive and broad research base, including a searchable database of more than two hundred article summaries.
Consider becoming a member of NIFDI. Members not only help NIFDI fulfill its mission, but they also enjoy member pricing on our materials and events. Learn more about member benefits by clicking on the button to the right.
New to Direct Instruction?
Check out our Introduction to Direct Instruction Video Series to learn more!
This nine-part introduction is free and covers a range of topics addressing the fundamentals of Direct Instruction. Designed to provide information relevant to individuals new to DI, topics include:
- What is Direct Instruction?
- What are the Direct Instruction programs?
- What are the Direct Instruction program components?
- How are students assessed in the DI programs?
- What directions are included in the Teacher Presentation Books?
- What is the comprehensive Direct Instruction model?
- What is the research base for Direct Instruction?
- What training and support are available for implementing DI?
- How do I get started with Direct Instruction?
Each video is only about three to five minutes long, providing a succinct introduction to each topic. Users can browse through the videos separately, but we recommend viewing them in the listed order.