Toll Free
877.485.1973 | T: 541.485.1973 | F: 541.683.7543
 | P.O. Box 11248 | Eugene, OR 97440
Facebook footer  Tiwtter footer  LinkedIn footer  YouTube footer  Vimeo footer  Pinterest footer

• Teaching DI
  • Coaching Academy
  • Origins Webinar
  • Board Work
  • DISE
  • Online Coaching
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

Office of Research and Evaluation issues review of WWC report on Reading Mastery and LD students

NIFDI's Office of Research and Evaluation has issued a review of the What Works Clearinghouse (WWC) report on Reading Mastery (RM) and Learning Disabled students. As you will see in the review, the office has concluded that there was serious misrepresentation of the articles included in the study. One actually showed that students studying with RM had significantly greater gains than students in national and state norming populations. Because the gains were equal to students in Horizons (another DI program), the WWC concluded that RM had no effect. The other study involved giving an extra 45 minutes of phonics related instruction to students studying RM. The WWC interpreted the better results of the students with the extra time as indicating potentially negative effects of RM.

The first part of the report gives details on these studies and the misinterpretations.

In addition, the review ignored the vast amount of literature that is available regarding the effectiveness of RM and other Direct Instruction programs with learning disabled and other special education students. The second two parts of the report include reviews of much of this other literature.

Feel free to share this report widely. You can contact the Office of Research and Evaluation at .

Read the full Response to WWC on Reading Mastery with LD Students HERE!

Implementing Direct Instruction Successfully: An Online Tutorial

When implemented fully, Direct Instruction (DI) is unparalleled in its ability to improve student performance and enhance students’ self-esteem. In order to implement DI effectively, much more is required than simply purchasing instructional materials. The following two-part tutorial guides administrators, teachers and coaches through the key features of a successful DI implementation. Part I provides an overview of the steps schools need to take in preparation for a DI implementation before school starts while Part II provides an overview of the steps schools need to take after school has started.

rating starIMPORTANT: This tutorial is an intensive video series comprised of 18 segments, each followed by a series of questions. Users should allow approximately three hours to watch the videos and complete the questions. NIFDI recognizes the high demand for time placed on school officials and, for this reason, has structured the tutorial so users may stop at anytime and later resume where they left off.

Tutorial-Image-Module-1v3Tutorial-Image-Module-2

Have a slow connection? You can view the quiz portion (no videos) of the tutorial here. To get a copy of the videos on disk to use with this method, please contact us at 877.485.1973 or .

New to Direct Instruction? Watch the Introduction to Direct Instruction Video Series before taking the online tutorial.

Share This

Module-Bottom-Button-A rev

Module-Bottom-Button-B rev

Module-Bottom-Button-C rev2

AmazonSmileModule 01